A Special Daily Bento

1 Oct

Yesterday was a very exciting day in our house.

Miss Camryn received an acceptance letter from Mensa and she starts the gifted program at school on Monday.

We met the teacher of her school’s gifted program yesterday and she told us that the gifted kids get to eat their lunch at a special table up on the stage in the ‘cafegymatorium’ (my term for the school’s cafeteria/gymnasium/auditorium).

Also, they eat lunch at 11:55, A normal lunchtime! And they get snacks!

Finally, someone gets it.

Such exciting developments deserve a pretty special lunch.

Today’s lunch includes some of Cam’s favorite things:

Cam loves pink so I included as much pink as possible.

She has pizza bites and peppers on little pink skewers, pink watermelon flowers in a pink little pig, some fruit-leather cut-outs, and some pink strawberry cookies.

I didn’t get around to making the cookies until late last night and by then I certainly didn’t feel like making them from scratch.

Since I’m not opposed to taking a little help from the store every now and then, I grabbed a box of strawberry cake mix, dumped it into a bowl along with 2 eggs, 1/3 cup of vegetable oil, some sprinkles, and a couple handfuls of white chocolate chips. I mixed it all up, rolled the dough into balls, placed them on a baking sheet, and baked them at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.

The cookies cover her intense affection for strawberries, sprinkles, chocolate, and the color pink.

Advertisements

7 Responses to “A Special Daily Bento”

1. veggiebentolove October 5, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

My father chose not to put me in the gifted program when it was discovered just how well I do on IQ tests. I have an education that I’m proud of, I am in a career in which I’m happy, and I love my life. I can’t say the same for everyone I know who attended gifted programs. She should still be encouraged to work hard and be celebrated for efforts and a flexible mindset rather than accomplishments which can lead to a closed view of her abilities and the world. Please do what you can to make sure your daughter gets academic enrichment, but be aware that not all gifted programs are equal, and she needs to be happy as well as smart. I wish the very best for your daughter (and being a teacher, all children).

2. TheGreatZambini October 1, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

I would just be a little cautious about encouraging the separate is better mindset with your smartie. I was on the same ‘gifted and talented’ path in elementary school, and I found that those that really got excited about the program and even transferred to the magnet school (advanced public school) came back with a bit of a snob attitude. It`s very easy to get into the mindset that you are ‘better’ than other people when everyone is telling you that it`s true, but once you get into the real world those are the people with fewer friends and angry bosses. Because no one wants to be around someone who acts like they are superior. Just a word of warning, because I can tell your daughter is amazing the way she is right now!

• we_should_be_folding_laundry October 1, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

Thank you! I can absolutely see where you’re coming from and appreciate the advice. 🙂

• TheGreatZambini October 2, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

But it`s great that your daughter is being recognized! You must be so proud and excited.

3. sugarbitznmilkybar October 1, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

That’s wonderful news! Both you and Camryn totally deserve it. Love the pinkness 🙂

4. Jane October 1, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

I am so happy for you guys!! And lunch at lunch time, that certainly does make all the hard work and effort worth it!! Congrats!!